BookGen is a freeÂ book-generation addon for the open-source 3D-package Blender.Â It allows you to fill shelfs or cupboards with books – fast and easy.
- control width, height, depth, cover thickness and more parameters of the books
- use randomization to generate a variety of different books
- automatic uv-unwrap for texturing
- Download the .zip from link at the top
- Open Blender, click on “File” and open the “User Preferences”
- Switch to the addons-tabÂ and click on “install from File”
- Choose the .zip and click “install”
- Now Activate it by clicking on the checkbox next to it. Done.
[vimeoÂ w=1000 90801687]
After you installed the Blender addon as described above you can start it by clicking on “Add”. In the “mesh”-category you will find “Add Books”. If you click on that you will see some books in the 3D-Viewport. You can now use the settings in the operator panel to change the amount and the look of your books.
At the top of the operator panel you will find settings affecting all books:
- width: changes the width of all books together. This is normally the width of your shelf.
- scale : changes the overall scale of your books. This does not effect the books proportions.
- seed: changes the random numbers. It allows you to get different layouts with the same settings.
- spacing: changes the spacing between two books. You can adjust the randomness by changing the slider next to it.
- x-y-custom: changes the axis on the which the books are distributed
The first box contains settings to change the proportions of your books:
- height: changes the height of your books. You can again adjust the randomness by changing the slider next to it.
- depth: changes the depth of your books. I think knew it: You can adjust the randomness by changing the slider next to it.
- width: changes the width of your individual books. I think you got the randomness thing now.
The second box changes the details of the generated books:
- textblock-offset: changes the offset between cover size and textblock size
- cover-thickness: changes the thickness of the books covers
- spline-curl: changes how bulgy the back of the books are.
- hinge-inset: changes the inset at the hinge
- hinge-width: changes the width of the hinge
Below those boxes there are some additional options:
- Add Subsurf-Modifier: adds a subdivision surface modifier to your books.
- shade smooth: set the shading of all books to smooth
- unwrap: auto-unwrap all books generated by the bookGen addon
- stacking of books with random z-axis-rotation
- control the alignment of books (e.g. align backs)
- allow leaning of books
ÂŠ Copyright Oliver Weissbarth 2014. This addon is licensed under GPLv3.
As this is still in Alpha state serious issues are possible. If you do find any bugs please email me at email@example.com or use the contact form.